Thursday, October 1, 2009

Security Extra-Dimension

Most of us, have never felt this much security concerned as we feel now. Insecurity has become the song of life. Whether, one likes or not either he sings or listens to this unwanted songs everyday. This fear of insecurity invades every aspects of life. Let me narrow down this security aspect to protecting belongings from petty thieves. These thieves always look for locked houses and they are very sure of getting in festive days and marriage seasons. Obviously, for a day or two absence, house owners choose to luxury of not worrying of belongings . Let me tell the truth, I always prefer not to have this luxury even if I go for few hours to Lingampally or Chandanagar for shopping – actually accompanying while somebody else, for the most of the time, well let me not play with words 'always' with wife though I hate to drive through nasty traffics – now you must have guessed why do I accompany – just because I can't afford to appoint a driver! Anyway, let me come back to track of security .... Honestly, this trait of being vigilant on security is long cultured and acquired since my early days of traveling in India Railways when I chose wrongly or rightly to work at Hyderabad. All during the journey, even now it's there, I was extra care with long steel chain to securely tie my not so cheap plastic bag to the great Indian railway Compartment with a feeling of great security thinking pretty lifters certainly can't take the daAba (compartment) away! And more I used to sleep putting the shoes quite secured place may be very close to chest!

Looks this syndrome of insecurity follows me. The place I leave Doyens Township of-late has become very known for such house burglary of-course for locked houses. That way, these thieves are quite reasonably honest. They respect security concerned people like me. But, Doyens Housing society and like that many Housing societies in Hyderabad have become very conscious of security. Of-course, Hyderabad has always been a flash point for security. Infact Hyderabad has been always leading in all aspects – that's we see. The extra-dimension I would like you to visualise. These security guards usually old sometimes 60+ age. It will be easy to find them whistling to be noticed only. And to be in good book of society dwellers they follow the age old thumbs rule – to be concerned to only who is influential. For a silent dweller like they really don't care. Interestingly, I found when I pass through the gate on my car, I get a salute. Then, I realize how these influentials relish these self-ego boosters! But, when I walk through the gate the security there did not even bother to look up abandoning his lazy sitting posture – ofcourse sometimes a bidi (country cigarette) on leaps. Many offices, you may not find such old security guards but equally lazy guys. Young guys keep dozing sitting on a bench. Harldy, they are in alert position to respond to a sudden security violation or eruption.

Not only me you will also agree for sure of the distaste to looking at a lazy security in morning in workplace. I remember of my one visit – the first visit to University of Aizu, Japan. Every morning, when I used to pass through the main gate the University security guard at the main gate used to bow down and very politely welcoming each coming in. As a visitor, most of the time I was on foot. But, he was not having any such discrimination!

4 comments:

Hrushikesha Mohanty said...

Received by email .........

Most enjoyable! I like the way you take the most common observations/everyday life and weave them into an enjoyable blog!

Anupama

Thanks Anupama. Nice to know you have enjoyed reading it.

Hrushikesha Mohanty said...

Received by email .........

Most enjoyable! I like the way you take the most common observations/everyday life and weave them into an enjoyable blog!

Anupama

Thanks Anupama. Nice to know you have enjoyed reading it.

C.K. Rajendran said...

Dear Sir,

We live the life, as it is. Even some of us wants to change certain things, we can't.

The security system in many places, including Doyens, follow a traditional illogical system. Whistling all the time in the night, cautiones the thief of the arrival of the security, and he hides till the security passes that place.

Residents rarely are concerned of their neighbours. This way one doesn't even know of the thief entering the adjacent house doing his work nicely. Ofcourse we cannot blame the neighour all the time as they cannot hear anything.
As you have mentioned, many residents do not take proper precautions.

Apart from this I am very sad to say that the people who are responsible for protecting us and our properties (the police dept.), are lethargic and also pose helplessness. I recollect one S.I. was telling me, "We cannot catch the thief as the human rights people will come in the way. Unless the thief accepts the crime himself we cannot arrest any suspects". I felt his reply very funny. If the thief accepts and surrenders what is need for police force.
All are partners.
Unless the law and order dept. is serious about their job, and unless the people feel responsible for taking care, unless the neighours question the unknown and suspicious people in the neighourhood, THERE CANNOT BE TOTAL SECURITY.

C.K. Rajendran

Hrushikesha Mohanty said...

received by email ..........

Variation is the rule of nature, including in dedication to duty for security or otherwise. Perfection is hard to observe.

Prof. G.P.Bhattacharjee
retired from IIT Kharagpur